Alfa Romeo, the team formerly known as Sauber has confirmed Marcus Ericsson will return to the team as their official reserve driver for 2019.
“It’s great to be back!” Ericsson told reporters on Tuesday.
Ericsson previously served as Sauber reserve driver to Charles Leclerc for the 2018 season.
“I’m picking up where I left off”
“Let’s face it, I was a reserve driver pretty much all of last season – this just makes it official!”
Team Principal Frédéric Vasseur announced the appointment ahead of the Australian Grand Prix on Sunday.
“It’s exactly the same role for Marcus, just with substantially less pay and air time” Vasseur told reporters.
Ericsson confirmed his role will be similar to his role in 2018
“I’ll do a few Friday practices, some tyre testing, and just staying out of everyone’s way” Ericsson confirmed.
The Swedish driver has a large history with the team, and is thrilled to be back at his spiritual home.
“I was at Sauber for 4 straight years, so I’m thrilled to have lost my driving seat just as soon as they become competitive” Ericsson told us exclusively.
“It’s a dream come true”